Thursday, December 21, 2006

Smells and Memories.....

As I gently open the rice cooker lid, I cant seem to get enough of the smell of the freshly cooked rice with the steam.....All of us experience this in our day-to-day lives...But the experience is just so out of the world that I wanted to write a post on it!!!

Smells have this strong power of vividly bringing back memories....of people, places, things and incidents....
Here are a few ones:

Petrichor.....or in Tamil "manvaasanai" - My childhood days when I would be gazing through the window, waiting for the rain to stop to play with my fellow mates....

Smell of photocopies and new notebooks - When I rushed to the nearest shop 2 hrs before the exam to make copies of my classmate's notes.....and the smell of new notebooks when you put on brown covers and labels just 2 days before the school reopens!

Petrol - When I used to ride the scooty and when it stopped half way, would walk to the nearest gas station.....

Crackers - The smell of crackers during Diwali after they are all burnt out with the million pieces of papers lying on the road!

Incense sticks - When appa does pooja at home with the camphor and incense sticks burning and when u prostrate before Him, that is divine!

Rasam with the coriander - The smell of amma's home made rasam with the coriander and curry leaves on a late Sunday Morning.....Wowwww!!! (Can anything ever beat this??)

Smell of coffee @ StarBucks - The million times I've gone to Starbucks, just because I luv the smell of coffee there.....

And many more....

As always, contributions welcome!

2 comments:

~ said...

Coffee smell means the roadside "Narasus Kaapi" shop in TN - Besh besh romba nalla iruku!!!

aRoOL said...

Fish curry..espescially the one which cooked the day before..like "Nethivachaa meen kozhambhu.."..may be u havent tried tht...