Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Iyengar veetu azhage!

While I was relentlessly thinking of topics for my blog which has been devoid of posts for a longtime now, I was listening to this song "Iyengar veetu azhage" and was simultaneously looking at one of my friend's wedding pictures....(She belongs to the Brahmin caste, more sepcifically Iyer, which is a class within the Hindu society).

While there are a lot of differences between Iyers and Iyengars, what caught my attention the most was the way they tie the madisaar! [Phew!!!I know what you guys are thinkin'....Women indeed never change!!!], I have tied an authentic madisar once during my school days for a fancy-dress competition (wonder what they thought was fancy here!) and I loved it! And like Monica in F.R.I.E.N.D.S, "If only there was a job where I could wear it all the time!!!".....So, I started looking into Iyer kattu and Iyengar kattu and also watched a few tamil movies where women tie the madisar......Oorvasi in MMKR, Kamal in Avvai Shanmugi and Shreedevi in "Meendum Kokila" wear the Iyer kattu and Vasundhra Das in Hey Ram wears the Iyengar kattu AND I am not all surprised all of them are Kamal movies!!! :)

7 comments:

Pensieve said...

u r tagged :)

Anonymous said...

Hey you forgot veera and that song (madathile kanni madathile)!!!! seekirama oru payana paaka soldren amma appava!

Vidhya Venkat said...

@Viji: thanks! and truly, the one person who has understood me..naa edhuvum solala...amma,appa fone number venumnaa, kelungo! anytime! :D

Ashok said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madisar

Sundar said...

and viji, u will probably need my parent's phone number also.... :D

Vidhya Venkat said...

@sundar: That was a good one! Viji, maami vela panna seekiram ready aagunga :)

Sasi said...

I never knew that there were 2 forms of madisar !
Hats Off to the awesome detail Oriented Director !
So .. you are the third from Lafayette then ..... Enjoy !!!